Getting Links: The Million Dollar Question?
With more means readily available, one may think that link building has lost its relevance or importance. They may be under the impression that it has become redundant and dead. But, the story is actually otherwise. Let people be under this illusion and for you the website owner, it will definitely do a lot of good. We need to believe in the truth and the truth is that these very old links are still considered to be a crucial determining factor in the search engine’s ranking algorithm. But, one should be extremely careful here. Not all links are regarded as quality links by search engines like Google. Therefore the type of link which is pointing to one’s website has a major role to play and creates a huge impact.
Backlinks how important are they?
Google provides a lot of information on the kind of backlinks it values most. In fact, the kind of terms and conditions it has laid out has left many people in confusion. Additionally, the updates that are given in Google’s Penguin have successfully created such an impression that it does not value backlinks at all. Now, links are extremely essential to drive more traffic to one’s website. What is the use of having a website with the best design and content when it fails to reach the target audience? It is these links that were considered to be crucial to drive traffic to websites. The main issue that Google is concerned about is the artificial backlinks which it has blacklisted.
These blacklisted links are not the naturally built links but is a part of link scheming. It becomes extremely essential to decipher the difference that exists between link building and link scheming. What is link building? In the search engine optimization world, link building refers to the action that is aimed to increase the quality inbound links to a website or a web page. It also includes the number of links too to a website. More the number of visitors to the website more will be the exposure that an online venture can get. What is link scheming? Link scheming refers to those links that are intended to tamper the page rank of a given website or manipulate the rank of a website. Link scheming is any behaviour which manipulates the links that are directed towards one’s website or the outgoing links from the website. So, you can see that link scheming is a practice that may invite penalties from Google as it is a deviation from the guidelines in the Google’s Webmaster. At the same time, link building will improve the position or ranking of a website.
Links can therefore be got through link building and link scheming. What is the basic difference between the two? Let us take a closer look at what Google considers as a violation and would eventually penalize a website.
- There are paid links but they have to make use of one attribute, rel=nofollow attribute. If the links do not use this attribute, they are flagged as red and will invite penalty. This includes paid footer links, paid blog posts and advertorials.
- Links that come from bookmark sites which are there only for the purpose of creating backlinks and those links that come from low quality directories are flagged as red by Google.
- Articles or web pages that are keyword rich or keyword stuffed or pages that have hidden links embedded in the widgets across different websites are also flagged as red.
- When the anchor texts are over optimized, and are linked through press releases and articles, they are also penalized.
- When backlinks are created by special tools that are meant to create only backlinks and that too in bulk, they are penalized.
- There may be links from the comments made in forums that come in anchor texts that are optimized in the posts that are made these too are flagged as red by Google.
So, how can get links, quality and good links? Is it a million dollar question that can never find a pertinent answer?
You should know what types of links are accepted by Google. You will have to put a series of special matrix in order to ascertain the quality of a given website. Before you link a web page to your website, you need to ask a series of questions:
- How does the page appeal to the average web user?
- Does the page contain any content that interests the user?
- Does the content on the page have any relation to the content on your website?
- And will it actually make any difference if the page is linked to your website?
When you get an affirmation for all these questions, you may go ahead to get the backlink even if that specific page has a low rank on Google.
Google uses common sense coupled with its own algorithm. When you as a store owner can also use common sense to ascertain the relevance of a web page that may be linked to your website, you will be able to build quality links. When you adhere to the guidelines given by Google, you can ensure that all the backlinks you build will be valid and will be considered by Google and you will get a good page rank.